Monday, February 7, 2011

The Privilege of Health

Today's lunch was a little bit of (successful) experimentation. The brussels sprouts were looking extra yummy at the grocery store this weekend so I grabbed a box for something new. (I should also mention I was in a little bit of a food rut the past week and needed to find some new ingredients to incorporate into my weekly meals -- maybe I'll post about food ruts later.)

Anyway, Mondays is one of the few days I am home for lunch and I decided to make a substantial meal of roasted brussels sprouts, sauted chicken and baby portabella mushrooms in olive oil and garlic. Also, a yummy piece of 5-grain Italian toast on the side. As I was sitting down to enjoy my super-yummy and healthy meal, it occurred to me that I was so blessed and privileged to be able to eat healthy. Often I have felt that it is obedience to the Lord to take care of your body, and to eat what is good for you (which this of course is true) but it never really crossed my mind that there are so many people (primarily in other third-world countries) who do not have the choice of what they eat. It disgusts me that so many Americans would choose to eat McDonald's every day for breakfast followed take-out Chinese for lunch, and a TV dinner at night, knowing full well that they are incurring years of health problems to come. But I can't feel this way about those who live on beans and rice because that is all they have. I am so fortunate to actually go to the grocery store and choose new and exciting foods when I get into a "food-rut" as opposed to worrying if I will even get another meal that day.

Anyway, all this to say, that eating healthy is not just a lifestyle choice we make, but it is a privilege that the Lord has given to us in more fortunate circumstances and we should make haste to enjoy His blessing! I am thankful to have a new perspective on why I eat the way I do - not just for selfish gain but to honor and glorify God as well as to thank Him for providing me the opportunity to be healthy.

No comments: