Thursday, February 3, 2011

A Favorite Meal

One thing that I cannot stand is eating the same thing every day. Some people can do this, but I cannot. Inevitably, that means that by the end of the week (or sometimes the middle like now) I start craving things I don't have and really don't want to eat what I do have on hand. This presents a difficult situation for trying to eat healthy. If you eat what you do have, you are less likely to feel satisfied because it is not what you really wanted. But running to the nearest fast food joint is not always the healthiest choice either.

Enter: precious stock foods.

By this I mean, having a certain selection of foods that are easy to keep on hand but that you don't use all the time. For me: It's black beans and rice. I use the GOYA black beans which have a great recipe on the back that I mostly follow: Saute onions, peppers, and garlic in olive oil then add beans and water and seasonings and simmer. Top over some rice and viola! you have a healthy, veggie-filled, protein-packed meal. And because I usually only make this every couple months it is something I don't get sick of and look forward to having. Also, I know when I make it to refill those items on the grocery list so I always have them. (I also consider onions, garlic, and peppers stock items too for veggies and such since I can use them in virtually any meal).

Does anyone else have favorite stock foods they keep to throw together healthy meals? I could always use some new ideas!

No comments: