Sunday, December 12, 2010

How To Pack a Healthy Lunch

As promised, here are my thoughts on packing (healthy) lunches Monday-Friday. It is not as daunting as it seems, I promise. And there is more to the world than peanut butter & jelly, pretzel sticks, and strawberry yogurt. (This was my lunch every day K - 12). So first, we will tackle how to pack a lunch and then some fun lunch ideas to follow.

Tips For Packing Daily:

- If you are not a morning person, and like a streamlined routine (or like to sit and enjoy a cup of coffee till you realize you have to leave in 10 minutes, like me!) then either pack completely, or do the prep-work for your lunch the night before. This is the only way to ensure that you will leave with a substantial lunch in hand and not give into running through a drive through again lest you be late.

- Find a great lunchbox. By great I mean, one you love (important if you are going to be seen carrying it), one with enough room for multiple items, tupperware, water bottles, etc., and one that will provide warmth/cold when needed (i.e. not a paper bag). With this in hand, the possibilities are endless.

- Have your go-to lunch items that can provide multiple varieties of meals for the week. Mine include a good deli meat (usually turkey, but I like to mix it up every now and then), a good cheese (I like swiss), whole wheat wraps/bread (I use both), lettuce and baby greens, some fresh veggies and fruits, a healthy dip (I like hummus, but salsa is great too), and a special snack. :) With these I can create sandwiches, salads, wraps, quesadillas, sample platters (my favorite for end-of-week grocery blues), and more. Keep these stalked all week long and you will be set. Then dinner leftovers and special purchases can add the final touches.

- Prep veggies and fruits on the weekend when you shop. Wash your fruit when you unload it, or open that bag of carrots/grapes and divide it into little snack bags that make grab-and-go in the mornings easy.

Some Fun Lunch Ideas:

- My go-to is a yummy wrap packed with turkey, swiss, baby spinach, hummus, tomato, parmesean, and a little italian dressing. When I have baked or grilled chicken leftovers I use that instead of turkey, and sometimes switch it up with a chicken caesar wrap. Other wrap ideas include black bean wraps with red/green pepper and onions. Super protein!!! You won't need much other than this to be full. I cook the black beans with onion, garlic, and pepper the night before and then assemble in the morning. Can be eaten cold or heated.

- Salads. This is great for a low-carb day or alternative to a sandwich/wrap in case of boredom. Mix romaine lettuce with baby spinach or field greens, And then top with everything and anything. Sliced turkey or chicken, tomatoes, grapes, dried fruit, blueberries, apples, nuts, cheese, etc. Use a oil/vinegar based dressing for a healthier choice. And if you really struggle feeling satisfied with a salad, like I do, I add some yummy croutons to munch on and feel a little better. Just be sure to add the croutons at the last minute or they will be soggy. Also this is a great way to eat raw veggies (the best way to eat them) because they will be covered in yummy dressing and mixed with other goodies.

- What I call a sample platter. This is usually made at the end of the week, when groceries are low. It usually involves a little bit of whatever I have left fruits, veggies, meats, and cheeses assembled as exactly that - a sample platter.

- Get creative. If you buy healthy food to begin with, then you don't have to stress over trying to pack something healthy later on. Just use what you have to create something wonderful. Don't be afraid to play around with flavors. I like to add a dab of bbq sauce to my turkey sandwich for some extra flavor.

- Pack a healthy drink. Don't succumb to the soda machine. Leave dollar bills and quarters in your car for toll money. Pack a bottle of water and at least one fun drink. I like to make a pitcher of iced green tea sweetened with honey on Sunday for the week, using empty water bottles to carry it. I also mix it up with bringing juice instead, I love cranberry-pomegranate. Just make sure you try to by a "no sugar added" brand. Fruit has its own sugar already.

- Update your PB&J to a peanut butter, banana, and honey sandwich instead.

- I make it a goal to include one fruit and one veggie in each lunch somehow. Then I either have a small snack or dessert to treat myself with after, I usually keep a package of Dove Dark Chocolate on hand (which is healthy in moderation) to throw into my lunch right before I leave. So good!

What are your favorite lunches?

3 comments:

Trevor said...

Mmmm I love Peanut butter banana and honey sandwich!
What are some good and versatile fruits that I should keep stocked?

Christina Akin said...

Haha, you are silly. But for any possible serious readers, I will answer your question.

For fruits - I like apples, bananas, oranges (of some kind, right now I like clementines), and whatever berries are in season for yogurt and granola.

For veggies - I like broccoli, carrots, and cucumber. These I like because I can eat them raw in salad and get the most nutrient out of them. But also I love red pepper, squash and zucchini, asparagus. Really whatever is in season to cook for that week.

Gina Leigh said...

I've made a steady diet the past week of peanut butter and honey sandwiches...yum! I think Joshua might be ready for some variety though. Poor guy gets a vast selection of PB or ham sandwiches everyday! These are great ideas. :-)