Monday, March 15, 2010

My heart in boxes.

"Labor to have but one object and one aim, and for this purpose give God the keeping of thine heart." - Charles H. Spurgeon

Who is the keeper of my heart? These questions I ask in the few remote moments I can find alone. Who is the keeper of my heart? I bet my room could tell you...

I can hear the hum of my computer. A half-made bed, emptied change jar, a cup of hot tea, verses scribbled on index cards, and to-do lists left unchecked on post-its. There are books pouring around me. Books I have half-read, intend to read, loathe to read, love to read. Some for study, some for pleasure. Only the good ones cross into both worlds. Unread mail buried under a pile of cd cases. Race applications for me and my running buddy. A burned out candle, receipts evidencing the things I did the past week. If all these things could talk, what would they say I was living my life for?

This week someone asked me to draw a few boxes and write what was most defining of my life into these boxes. So I did. I filled four main boxes, and then added some cute little circles (or sub-boxes I like to think) of elements that fit into the main categories. Looking at those boxes and circles that showed what consumed my time and energy and thoughts... I was asked, "How much of what you wrote into those boxes is focused on the 'me' - or what 'I' want out of life? And how much is focused on the 'Kingdom'?"

Ouch.

Who is the keeper of my heart?

Who is the keeper of your heart?

1 comment:

Gina Leigh said...

Ouch...indeed. Very applicable heart check...thank you, my dear.