Monday, March 9, 2009

God, our Father.

Discipline. This word holds much negative connotation. The idea of disciplining oneself is seen as changing one's ways as to produce something better. Think: quitting smoking, getting in shape, studying, regulating your diet. Nothing that sounds all too exciting or enticing. But, too look at the biblical perspective of discipline, it is found that this is NOT a burdensome task, but rather an "encouragement."

Hebrews 12:4-11

In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. And you have forgotten that word of encouragement that addresses you as sons:
"My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline,
and do not lose heart when he rebukes you,
because the Lord disciplines those he loves,
and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son."

Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons. Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live! Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.


Notice that the author tells us that we "have forgotten that word of encouragement" and even more so, that it is because we are "sons." We must view God's discipline of His children not as punishment, but as encouragement; not because we are His slaves, but because we are His sons! And if that is not enough to bring us to our knees, it is for our good! And then our Father takes it a step further... "that we may share in His holiness!"

Though convicted I may be, I rest wholly in the promise that this will "produce a harvest of righteousness and peace" in my life. Praise God that He would choose to discipline me in order that I may be more like Him!





* An interesting side note that I came across (I do preface this is not from scripture and should not be held in too much high regard for that reason): According to the "Online Etymology Dictionary" the word discipline in its original language means "instruction given to a disciple" and comes from the word dis (which means "apart") and capere (which means "take"). Perhaps this discipline is just about God taking us apart for some work, just as a mechanic does for a car.

- Christina

5 comments:

Trevor said...

I think my initial reaction to the relation between the title and the body of the post shows that at least in my life, there is sometimes a failure to grasp that "God as Father" doesn't always mean that his love is manifested in comforting and providing, but also sometimes in that not-so-loved role of the Father: discipline, which is no less loving, and no less necessary for my life.
(That is, until I see His face.)

Anonymous said...

Accepting discipline as a consequence of my actions has never been easy. I know God means best by it though, because He loves us and wants us to grow more into Him. Sometimes i can't help but wish there were an easier way though, but after a while i suck it up and take it for what its worth... trying to learn from it so hopefully i can avoid the same mistake twice. If only it did just take once to learn a lesson. How's that for a humble prayer we should all lift up? especially me.

Anonymous said...

Very good post, dearie. :)

A. Coffman said...

Hi Christina,

You don't know me, but I am a friend of Mandy Montzka's and she was talking about you this week--at least I really hope you are the Christina she mentioned. I found your blog by accident through Trevor Akin's so I hope you don't think it's creepy that I am writing you. Anyway, Mandy said you guys went to the Ligioner's Conference and that you were going to read Calvin's Institutes and I think that is great--not that you need, or asked for my opinion. Basically, I just wanted to say hi to a fellow Chritian and let you know I love your blog/postings. I wish my highscool students wrote as well as you :)

Aaron Cline Hanbury said...

I appreciate the post. Good thought.